Jerez de la Frontera oozes art wherever you look. This town will surprise you with its mixture of living traditions in its 'bulerías' (a type of flamenco music), wines and dancing horses. You will discover that it is a world reference not only on account of its centuries-old wineries, but also for being home to the Spanish Motorcycle Grand Prix. Intrigued about the best places to visit in Jerez? Then listen up!
What to see in Jerez de la Frontera (Cádiz).
Experiencing Jerez like a local is all about enjoying its neighbourhoods and typical Cadiz environments, so here is a list of the places you simply cannot miss on your trip to the city:
- The Alcázar: the oldest building in Jerez, as well as the only Almohad Alcazar still standing in Spain. Constructed as a monument to protect the city, inside it is home to vegetable gardens, water mills, etc. It serves as a visual reminder of what the city used to look like.
- Tío Pepe weather vane: located next to the Alcázar is the Alameda, which is home to the Tío Pepe weather vane. It is the biggest weather vane in the world, according to the Guinness World Records.
- Jerez Cathedral: this cathedral forms part of the city's Muslim legacy, having been constructed on the remains of the former Mezquita Mayor. This temple is imposing both on the outside, given its façade that combines Gothic, Baroque and Neoclassical styles, and on the inside, as it is home to gems including La Virgen Niña de Zurbarán.
- Plaza del Arenal: a bustling square in Jerez, which is the perfect spot to kick back, relax and have a drink. It is home to many of the bars frequented by the city's locals.
- Santiago neighbourhood: to really get to know a city, you need to get lost in its neighbourhoods and alleyways. The Santiago neighbourhood is bursting with typical Andalusian architecture, as well as being the birthplace of great flamenco artists.
- Two of the most famous sites in this neighbourhood are the Church of Santiago and the Taberna Flamenca. Make sure you don't forget to take a stroll around the streets of this neighbourhood, home to houses with Andalusian patios full of flower pots!
- Abastos central market: its iron and glass neoclassical architecture will leave you speechless. This is the perfect place to take in the real aroma of Jerez de la Frontera. Grab a bite to eat or buy high quality food produce, including fish, meats and fruits and vegetables.
What to do in Jerez: from wines to beach time
You're not going to spend all your time in the city visiting monuments and strolling its Jerez, right? This city has much more to offer that will get you falling in love:
- Visit a winery: Whether you are a fan of wine or not, when you're in Jerez, a visit to its wineries is a mandatory stop. Jerez is home to countless wineries, where you can participate in wine tastings and understand just how Sherry wines became so famous. Get ready to become a wine aficionado!
- "Ir de tabancos": That's how the locals would say it. Tabancos are typical Jerez taverns where visitors can enjoy the experience of visiting Jerez to the fullest. "Ir de tabancos" is synonymous with eating, and we all know that sampling a destination's food is all part of the experience, right? You simply cannot visit Jerez without sampling some of its typical dishes such as ajocaliente, aneto or Jerez cabbage. Remember! To really discover a city is to also discover its gastronomy.
- Beaches: Although Jerez does not have its own beaches, it is located very close to some of the most famous on the coast of Cádiz. For people who fancy a stroll on the beach or listening to the lapping waves of the sea, Playa de Valdelagrana is just a 28-minute car ride away. Don't have a car? That's never a problem! With Renfe Cercanías (Commuter), you can travel to a variety of spots and towns in Cádiz both quickly and comfortably. Take a look at our timetables and see Playa de Valdelagrana for yourself to round off your visit to Jerez de la Frontera.
How to travel to Jerez de la Frontera with Renfe
Travelling can sometimes get tedious and tiring, which is why at Renfe, we offer you the best routes and the best and fastest trains to get you to your destination safely, comfortably and sustainably. Jerez, its residents and all the wonders that this city has to offer are waiting for you. What are you waiting for? Discover Jerez travelling with Renfe!